First, let's go over a quick primer on mold. Every kind of mold is a fungus, just like mushrooms and athlete's foot, for example. The mold that is dangerous to you and your family is relatively rare in the fungi kingdom, meaning most kinds aren't dangerous. However, some are dangerous, so any mold in your home or business must be mitigated and completely removed.
The rule of thumb is to find a affordable emergency mold remediation contractor greenup ky company to get rid of the mold if it is more than 3 square feet.in area. When you see any big amount of mold growth, however, it's smart to call for cleanup assistance from professional mold removal services. The best mold removal services can help you test for mold spots in other places around the house using tools such as hygrometers, thermometers, laboratory-grade mold test procedures and more.
Before you contact mold cleanup specialists, the first step is to stop the mold from growing. Turn off any HVAC systems. Then, work to halt the dripping or condensation that brought the mold. Make sure damaged roofs are no longer getting into your house or business and restrict the flow of any water that has penetrated your basement. Then, contain the problem. You could tape off the area with plastic sheeting, for instance.
Now, you're ready to figure out if you need to get professional help. Consider not only the damaged area, but also any exacerbating health problems you may have. People who already struggle to breathe, for instance, should avoid mold cleanup activities.
Once you've made the decision, there are vital things to do. If you're going at it alone, begin with gathering proper equipment and clothing. You'll need airtight goggles, coveralls that are easy to wash and that cover your arms and legs, a mold-safe mask and mold-approved gloves that reach at least to your forearms. You should also get new disposable rags and a disposable tarp or two that can help trap the mold you get off. Experts agree that you should not leave unpainted drywall that is moldy anywhere you find it because it can't be cleaned well enough. Whatever you do, don't clean with bleach, especially if you're dealing with a serious mold repair problem. It's completely ineffective for soft surfaces, and only partially effective on hard ones. It's also dangerous because it can release fumes and should never be mixed with ammonia.
If you're worried enough about mold problems to look for solutions on the web, you need a professional mold removal service. It is best if you choose these companies in your geographic location, so call for if you live there. This will ensure that you find a company with relevant experience.
Check licensing and certifications before you hire a mold removal company. The State Business Licensing Division is a good place to begin, and you should check for approval by groups such as as the Contractor Connection, Restoration Industry Association and the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration.
Mold damage that is allowed to grow sends off spores, which fly like dandelion seeds and can cause damage to spread rapidly. If not, harmful mold will keep eating on your structure and can ruin your possessions. Some molds, those that release toxic spores, can also cause sever health problems ranging from neurological damage to respiratory and mold-related infections and generally poor health. Mold in the environment can be especially dangerous for infants, children, and anyone with a compromised immune system .
The best way to handle your mold damage is to get professional mold damage cleanup help. Don't delay.